I grew up believing
that goodness would earn respect.
To never say no,
to always adjust,
to make space for others
even when it meant shrinking myself.
But life revealed a quiet contradiction.
The more I gave, the less seriously I was taken.
My efforts became invisible,
and my presence felt optional.
It took me years to understand
that being "too good"
was not a flaw in my character,
but an imbalance I never learned to correct.
Value is not something to beg for or prove.
It is something that should quietly live within.
My kindness was never a performance.
It was never a transaction. It was simply who I was.
Many appreciated what I did,
but few truly respected who I was.
I learned that endless giving
creates an invisible imbalance.
My generosity slowly became exhausted.
People often value
what is given with intention,
more than what is always available.
Because my giving knew no limits,
it slowly lost its worth.
Without boundaries, my energy had no shape.
And somewhere beneath my kindness
was a fear I rarely admitted,
the fear of losing people,
of being abandoned,
of creating conflict.
So I kept giving.
Everyone received my actions,
my time, my effort.
But very few ever stopped long enough
to see the person behind them.
Now I understand:
Kindness without boundaries
becomes self-neglect.
Love without self-respect
becomes a sacrifice.
And giving means little
if I abandon myself in the process.
Today, I chose balance.
I can be kind without being available to everyone.
I can care without carrying everyone.
I can give without emptying myself.
Because my worth was never meant to come
from how much I offer others,
but from knowing that I am enough,
even when I offer nothing at all.
By
Sanji-Paul Arvind

No comments:
Post a Comment