Friday, August 21, 2026

Emotional Withdrawal



When my heart feels deeply hurt,
criticized, or overwhelmed,
my brain quickly shifts into survival mode.

My heart starts beating faster,
and thinking clearly becomes harder.

I know exactly what I want to say,
but I cannot get the words out.
It is my brain's way of dealing with
too much emotional stress all at once.
People often think my silence is withdrawal,
but it isn't.

When I was young,
I learned that staying quiet
was the safest thing to do
the best way to avoid getting into trouble.

As I grew older,
that reaction became automatic.
Pulling away made me feel safe.
Staying quiet often felt easier
than trying to explain how I felt inside,
because people often hear
what they want to hear.

I have felt ignored, rejected,
and pushed away.
My heart starts racing,
my chest feels tight,
and my thoughts become tangled.

I feel like disappearing into silence.
So, when I go quiet after being hurt,
it doesn't always mean I don't care.
It simply means my mind is trying to protect itself
from emotions that feel too heavy in that moment.

My silence is not the absence of feelings.
It is the weight of feelings
I cannot yet put into words.

By
Sanji-Paul Arvind

No comments:

Post a Comment

எரிந்துபோன கப்பலில் எனது பயணம்

ஒளி மங்கும் அந்த இடத்தில், நான் இன்னும் உன்னைக் காண்கிறேன். நள்ளிரவின் கீற்றால் பிளக்கப்பட்ட இருளில் உன் முகம் தெரிகிறது; நீண்ட காலத்திற்கு ...