She disappeared from my life
without a reason,
without an explanation,
without even a proper goodbye.
Years passed, and I slowly realised
that somehow
I was still emotionally stuck on her.
No dating, no talking.
No seeing each other, no calls and no texts.
Yet my brain was still behaving
as if the relationship
was only on pause.
I couldn't understand
why I was staying emotionally committed
to someone who is no longer
a part of my life.
I had no interest in new connections,
because somewhere inside me
there was still a small hope
that she might return.
So I secretly kept a little space for her
in my heart.
There was no relationship anymore,
but emotionally,
I was still holding on.
Maybe because our story
never really had an ending.
There was no goodbye,
so my mind kept filling in the blanks.
I replayed our conversations.
I remembered the chemistry.
I thought about the late-night talks.
I kept asking myself
what went wrong
and how things could have been different.
And then I realised something painful.
Distance had made her
look better than she really was.
I was remembering the chemistry,
the beautiful moments,
the possibilities, the potential.
I was not only missing her.
I was missing what I thought
we could have become.
And no real person
could compete with her anymore,
because the woman I was comparing them to
only existed in my memories.
She had no flaws there.
No disagreements, no distance and no silence.
Only the parts I wanted to remember.
So I remained unavailable
because a tiny part of me was still waiting
for the old version of her to return.
My present was being judged
against someone who wasn't even there.
And every time I checked for her,
I kept her alive in my mind.
Her silence became a puzzle
I kept trying to solve it.
I searched for meaning
in the absence of a message.
I treated her silence
like a secret message
that I just hadn't understood yet.
But the truth is simple.
There is no relationship
without communication.
No relationship without effort.
No relationship
without two people choosing
to be part of it.
My feelings are real.
But the relationship is not.
And maybe that is
the hardest thing to accept.
I am not waiting for her anymore.
I am waiting for a message
that may never come.
I am waiting for a person
who exists mostly in my memory.
And while I keep waiting
for something that no longer exists,
my present keeps passing me by.
Maybe letting go doesn't mean
that I stopped loving her.
Maybe it means I finally stopped being loyal
to a relationship that ended long ago.
I called it love.
Maybe it was ghost loyalty,
remaining faithful to someone
who was no longer there.
By
Sanji-Paul Arvind

No comments:
Post a Comment