Her absence felt like the end of my world,
and her silence felt like she had left me behind.
I thought my obsession was love,
love overflowing from a heart that cared too much.
Later, I understood
it was not always love.
Sometimes it was fear
holding me tightly.
I wanted her deeply,
but I forgot that love also means
respecting her choice.
I miss her,
but I do not chase her.
I love her,
but I can still let her go.
Because sometimes what we call love
is also grief for a future
that never happened.
I was not only holding on to her.
I was holding on to a whole life
I had created it in my mind.
A life where she stayed.
A life where everything worked out.
A life that never got the chance to become real.
I thought losing her meant losing myself.
But slowly, I understood
that love should not ask me
to destroy myself to prove it.
My love became quieter.
It stopped begging.
It stopped chasing.
It stopped holding on
with both hands.
I can choose her
without losing myself.
I can miss her
without running after her.
I can sit alone
without becoming bitter.
And now I know,
pain is not proof of love,
and suffering is not devotion.
Sometimes love means staying.
Sometimes love means letting go.
And sometimes,
the deepest love
is learning how to remain whole
when the person you love
is no longer beside you.
By
Sanji-Paul Arvind

No comments:
Post a Comment