I thought the more I cared,
the more she would value me.
I was wrong.
The more I chased,
the more she ran.
The more I was available,
the less she appreciated me.
I was there every time she needed me.
I apologised even when I wasn't wrong.
I tolerated disrespect because I didn't want to lose her.
I gave her the importance of a queen,
but somewhere along the way,
she started treating me like I was beneath her.
I showed her my emotions.
I showed her my true side.
I chose her, again and again,
even when I had other choices.
And maybe that's where I lost myself.
She never knew how many people I could have chosen.
She only knew that I kept choosing her.
That's the hard truth I learned:
You can love someone deeply
without losing yourself for them.
Overgiving doesn't make someone love you more.
Chasing doesn't make someone stay.
Tolerating disrespect doesn't earn respect.
Sometimes, the person you are trying hardest to keep
is the person you need to let go of.
Because love should not make you beg for basic respect.
I didn't lose her.
I lost myself trying not to lose her.
And now, I choose myself.
By
Sanji-Paul Arvind

No comments:
Post a Comment